Thursday, November 28, 2013

Addict's Thanksgiving

     So I spent Thanksgiving alone in a dive hotel.  My turkey came in the form of a hot turkey hoagie from Wawa and I paired that with their mac and cheese and mashed potatoes.  No call from my wife. I didn't call her because our arrangement is that she can call me when she wants to and I will give her space to heal.  My addiction and her discovery of it has left her traumatized and she is very much going through post traumatic stress disorder.

     It would be easy to just write off everything and say that I'm not thankful for anything, but that just isn't true.  Below is a list of things I am very thankful for.

I am thankful for my wife getting help to deal with the damage my addiction has caused.
I am thankful for my wife researching my addiction and finding help for me.
I am thankful for the Gratitude Program and the treatment it provides.
I am thankful for the NA, SLAA, SAA, and AA fellowships that I attend.
I am thankful for the peer phone calls that I get from friends still in treatment.
I am thankful for the welcome my dog gives me when he sees me.
I am thankful for the people on Intherooms.com
I am thankful for my employer not firing me when I took all of the time off to get treatment.
I am thankful for the thoughts and prayers that other addicts have had for me.
I am thankful for the staff that have encouraged me to go into the addiction field as a counselor.
I am thankful for god and another day sober.

There is so much more I wish to write tonight.  Please feel free to leave me comments about my blog.  Even if you are not an addict, your feedback is valuable to me.

Wishing you all love and peace tonight and tomorrow.

ScottinRecovery

No comments:

Post a Comment