Sunday, December 8, 2013

Hating your sandwich. It's a lot deeper than it sounds.

     Sorry, I have been busy working on life and recovery recently and haven't had time to write.  I finally got my 60 day trinkets.  After living in a hotel for two and a half weeks, I move into my apartment tomorrow.  It isn't anything glamorous but it is just what I need.  I can have my dog come over for visitation so that is something I am looking forward to.  Despite my attempts to get a furnished apartment, so I could avoid moving things out of the house I hope to eventually return to, that didn't work out so I am buying some furniture from Ikea and was given a used mattress and tv stand from a friend. 
    So what is this silliness about hating your sandwich?  Last night at my NA meeting the speaker was a 17 year-old who got clean when he was only 14.  He has stayed clean, has a sponsor, works steps and hasn't relapsed.  For his age, this kid is incredibly inspiring.  His message was clear but his delivery could use work, but it is the content that is truly important.  He was talking about how he would eat lunch with a kid everyday in school.  Every single day this kids would complain about how he hated the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that he ate for lunch.  Day in, day out bitching about his peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Finally the young man who spoke at my meeting said, "Why don't you tell whoever makes you your sandwiches to make you something else?"  His friends response was, "I make my own sandwiches."
     Think about that for a second folks.  Doesn't that situation feel awful familiar?  How often did we find ourselves doing something over and over again when we didn't want to?  How many times did we put ourselves into uncomfortable situations that were completely avoidable?  How many times did we keep making that sandwich that we couldn't stand eating?
     That is all I have for today.  I'm not writing any more because I want to reflect on that story of the boy hating the sandwich but repeatedly making it anyway. 
Thanks for being there for my recover,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment